Minutes of Pine Orchard Executive Board Meeting
January 8, 2018
Agenda Item 1: The meeting was called to order by President Robin Sandler at 7:02 pm.
Board members present were: Jon Schlesinger, Peggy Haering, Robert Dahill, Robin Sandler, Matt Moran, Dick Greenalch, Susan Davis, Rick Ross, Niall Ferguson, Linda Giordano. (Seth Chaucer attended the latter portion of meeting)
Joseph Thomas was absent.
Agenda Item 2: Public Comments. Peggy Haering said that snow-plowing on Island View Avenue is a problem. The town plows only one side of the street, leaving residents on the even numbered side of the street buried in snow.
Agenda Item 3: Communications. Robin Sandler read a letter from Peter Hugret encouraging the board to take action to secure all beach access points, including those on Island View Avenue. Peggy Taylor of Sunset Hill Avenue asked about ownership of beach access points and insurance coverage. Jackie Coffey of Island View Avenue said that the board should consider that problems have arisen over beach access points that were formerly felt to be safe. The issue was referred to the beach access committee for recommendations. Ed Kelleher of Halstead Lane asked a question about a report prepared by John Donegan in 2008 and whether any conditions had changed since its preparation. He said that he was concerned about the board spending money on redoing work that had been done before.
The President read an anonymous letter sent to him by a Crescent Bluff resident. The writer of the letter expressed concern about declining property values on Crescent Bluff and asked whether Robin envisioned his role of President as needing to address the situation.
Agenda Item 4: Approval of minutes. Upon motion and second the minutes from the Board meeting on November 6, 2017 were approved. Upon motion and second, the minutes from the Special Board meeting on December 5, 2017 were approved, with Rick Ross abstaining. Upon motion and second, the minutes of the Special Board meeting on December 12, 2017 were approved, with Matt Moran abstaining.
Agenda Item 5. Treasurer’s report. Niall Ferguson presented the Treasurer’s report as of January 5, 2018. Upon motion and second the report was approved
Agenda Item 6. Committee Reports
- By-Laws-Susan Davis indicated that she had nothing to report.
- Nominating—Joe Thomas was absent, there was no report.
- Planning & Zoning—An appeal has been filed in connection with a decision by the Zoning Board of Appeals concerning a property on Crescent Bluff Avenue. Attorney Peter Berdon will represent the ZBA.
- Communications—Jon Schlesinger presented drafts of a logo to be used on POA communications. Trademarking of the logo was discussed.
- Shoreline Maintenance—Linda Giordano reported that she had nothing to report
- Building maintenance—Seth Chaucer was absent; there was no report.
- Municipal Interface—Matt Moran had nothing to report.
- Tax Collection—Rich Ross had nothing to report on tax collections.
- Beautification—Bob Dahill reported that he had received indications of community support for the project and that 8-9 people had volunteered to help. He said that the first project would likely be installation of benches at the triangle of Elizabeth St., Spring Rock Road and Pine Orchard Road.
Agenda Item 7. President’s report. —Robin Sandler reported that he had been approached by the Branford Community Network requesting for access to the POA email list so that the group could communicate with our members about items of interest in the community. It was decided that we would advise our members about the network and allow them to opt-in if they wanted to receive the group’s communications.
Agenda Item 8. Old Business.
- Short term rentals. Dick Greenalch reported on the short-term rentals committee. He said that he and Robin Sandler had a preliminary meeting with Attorney Berdon, who confirmed that the By-Laws give the Board the authority to restrict uses of property in Pine Orchard for single family dwellings. A future report is expected within 30 days or so.
- Crescent Bluff litigation. The action to get the town to declare a public road is pending. Wheeler provided a written summary of the various pieces of litigation affecting Crescent Bluff that he had presented to the RTM.
- Parking issues on Island View Ave. Robin Sandler stated that a letter had been sent to the homeowner regarding blocking of parking spaces on the street but that no response had been received.
- Generator installation at the Pine Orchard office, 180 Pine Orchard Rd. Robin Sandler indicated that plans for installation of a generator and a dehumidifier at the POA building were proceeding and that exterior lighting was also being reviewed.
Agenda Item 9—New Business. None
Agenda Item 10—Office Manager’s report. Peter Robinson detailed a number of initiatives that he has been researching and reviewing. They included having the photos in the Office Building scanned so that they can be preserved, social activities for the Association to consider hosting, such as a July 4th picnic, Halloween party, and musical events at the Chapel. He is working on a quarterly newsletter. He also introduced information about a potential beach reclamation project. The Board determined that he should continue his research but that the matter should not be pursued until further study was conducted. The Board authorized the office manager to pursue installation of smart thermometers in the POA headquarters building and to acquire a color printer for the office.
Agenda Item 10. Other Business. None
Agenda Item 11. Adjournment. Upon motion made and seconded, the Board unanimously voted to adjourn at 8:15 p.m.
Margaret Haering, Clerk
Monday, March 5, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Monday, May 7, 2018 at 7:00 p.m.
Monday, July 9, 2018 at 7:00 p.m